Business Demography, 2012: ONS
- The number of business births increased by 8,000 (3.1 %) between 2011 and 2012.
- The number of business deaths increased by 25,000 (11.0%) between 2011 and 2012.
- In 2012 the births of new businesses (270,000) was greater than business deaths (255,000).
- The move towards economic recovery has seen birth rates being higher than death rates from 2011, but the gap has narrowed in 2012.
- London had the highest business birth rate at 14.8% and the highest death rate at 11.7%. Apart from London the number of birth and deaths by region were similar.
- In broad industry terms, accommodation and food services had the highest death rate, at 13.3%.