Business Demography, 2012: ONS
- The number of business births increased by 8,000 (3.1 %) between 2011 and 2012.
- The number of business deaths increased by 25,000 (11.0%) between 2011 and 2012.
- In 2012 the births of new businesses (270,000) was greater than business deaths (255,000).
- The move towards economic recovery has seen birth rates being higher than death rates from 2011, but the gap has narrowed in 2012.
- London had the highest business birth rate at 14.8% and the highest death rate at 11.7%. Apart from London the number of birth and deaths by region were similar.
- In broad industry terms, accommodation and food services had the highest death rate, at 13.3%.
European demography: Eurostat
- More than 5 million babies born in the EU28 in 2012
- EU28 population 505.7 million at 1 January 2013
- There were 5.0 million deaths registered in the EU28 in 2012
European inflation, October 2013: Eurostat
- Euro area annual inflation was 0.7% in October 20132, down from 1.1% in September. A year earlier the rate was 2.5%. Monthly inflation was -0.1% in October 2013.
- European Union annual inflation was 0.9% in October 2013, down from 1.3% in September. A year earlier the rate was 2.6%. Monthly inflation was -0.1% in October 2013.