European inflation, Jan 2014: Eurostat
- Euro area annual inflation was 0.8% in January 2014, stable compared to December 2013.
- A year earlier the rate was 2.0%.
- Monthly inflation was -1.1% in January 2014.
- European Union annual inflation was 0.9% in January 2014, down from 1.0% in December 2013.
- A year earlier the rate was 2.1%.
- Monthly inflation was -0.9% in January 2014.
Female entrepreneurs take charge of high street growth: FSB
- Federation of Small Businesses’ (FSB) data used in a BBC report shows the UK’s high streets have seen a dramatic number of women starting-up businesses than at any previous time
- Half (49.5%) of small firms established in the past two years in retail, or hotels, catering and leisure are owned primarily by women
- This is in stark contrast to high street businesses started more than 20 years ago. When the FSB last surveyed its members it found that only a quarter (24%) of these businesses were primarily female owned
Inflation, January 2014: ONS
- 1.9% growth in Consumer Prices Index (CPI) in the year to January 2014, down from 2.0% in December 2013.
- The fall in the rate resulted from price movements for recreational goods & services, furniture & household goods and alcoholic beverages & tobacco. These were partially offset by price movements for miscellaneous goods & services.
- 1.8% growth in CPIH (includes owner occupiers’ housing costs) in the year to January 2014, down from 1.9% in December 2013. RPIJ (an improved variant of the Retail Prices Index) grew by 2.1%, up from 2.0% in December 2013.