European unemployment rate rising: Eurostat
- The euro area (EA17) seasonally-adjusted unemployment rate was 11.1% in May 2012, compared with 11.0% in April4. It was 10.0% in May 2011
- The EU27 unemployment rate was 10.3% in May 2012, compared with 10.2% in April. It was 9.5% in May 2011
- 24.868 million people in the EU27 were unemployed in May 2012
Labour Market Statistics, April 2012 – covering December 2011 to February 2012: ONS
- The unemployment rate was 8.3 per cent of the economically active population, down 0.1 on the quarter. There were 2.65 million unemployed people, down 35,000 on the quarter. This is the first quarterly fall in unemployment since the three months to May 2011.
- The claimant count in March 2012 was 1.61 million, up 3,600 on the previous month and up 145,200 on a year earlier.
- The employment rate for those aged from 16 to 64 was 70.4 per cent, up 0.1 on the quarter. There were 29.17 million people in employment aged 16 and over, up 53,000 on the quarter.
- The inactivity rate for those aged from 16 to 64 was 23.1 per cent, down 0.1 on the quarter. There were 9.27 million economically inactive people aged from 16 to 64, down 25,000 on the quarter.