Living Costs and Food Survey, 2012
- UK households spent an average of £489 a week in 2012.
- The largest expenditure categories were housing (excluding mortgages), fuel and power, transport, and recreation and culture.
- There were four regions in which expenditure over the period 2010-2012 was higher than the UK average: London, the South East, the East and the South West.
- Average spending has decreased between 2006 and 2012 once the figures have been adjusted to allow for changes in prices (inflation).
- Households in London spend the most, while those in the North East spend the least.
- Expenditure in rural areas is higher than in urban areas.