Expenditure index, July 2013: Visa
- Year-on-year spending relatively unchanged (-0.1%), but saw the first reduction since February
- Month-on-month spending falls (-2.4%), for the first time since April
- Quarterly spending figures depressed -0.7% in July
February Expenditure Index: Visa
- Second successive monthly rise in consumer spending: growth of +0.8% registered in February (January: +0.9%). The combined effect of two months of expenditure growth increases the likelihood that the UK will avoid recession in Q1 2013
- Year-on-year spending unchanged in February (January: -0.9%).
- Underlying spending continued to fall, but at slower rate: February 3m/3m rate at -1.1% (January: -1.3%).
Expenditure Index, January 2013: Visa
- Month-on-month rise of 1.0% registered in January (December: -1.0%).
- Year-on-year spending was -0.9% lower (December: -1.8%).
- Fall in underlying spending recorded in January, with rate of decline little changed: December 3m/3m rate at -1.3% (December: -1.0%).
- Online spending rose markedly in January, but high street suffers in the face of heavy snow.