Social & Organisational Research Blog
High-street sales grow but still below average for the time of the year
- Retail sales volumes rose strongly in May compared to a year ago but sales were still reported to be below average for the time of year. The majority of retail sectors saw sales increase.
- 43% of retailers reported an increase in their volume of sales compared to a year ago, and 23% said they had seen a fall
- The number of people employed in the retail sector increased on a year ago (+12%), for the first time since February 2003
- Sentiment regarding the business situation for the next three months has also turned positive (+3%) for the first time since November 2011
- Year-on-year price inflation in shops remained robust but still below the peak seen at the beginning of 2011
- Retailers expect sales volumes to grow again on a year ago in June and the business situation to be stable over the next three months