Business confidence index / trade confidence index: BCC
Exports rise 1.4% in Q4 2012 – up 5.2% on Q4 2011
- Nearly half of exporters (45%) said their export sales increased, compared to 13% of respondents, who said that they decreased;
- In the service sector, export sales increased for 46% of firms, up from 42% in Q3; in manufacturing, export sales increased for 45% of businesses, up from 34% in Q3;
- 59% of exporters feel that their turnover will increase in 2013. 50% believe that their profitability will improve in 2013;
- More than a quarter of firms (27%) said they expected to increase staff this year, down from 31% in Q3
CBI’s latest quarterly SME Trends Survey
- Both domestic and export orders among the UK’s small and medium-sized manufacturers fell in the three months to October.
- Production levels continued to contract modestly, while business sentiment deteriorated for the second consecutive quarter.
- Prospects for the coming quarter are somewhat better, with output expected to increase slightly and new orders expected to level off.