- UK retail sales were up 4.2% on a like-for-like basis from April 2013, when they had decreased 2.2% on the preceding year.
- On a total basis, sales were up 5.7%, against a 0.6% fall in April 2013.
- The 12-month total sales growth now stands at 2.8%, ahead of the average CPI over the 12 months to March at 2.3%
- Online sales of non-food products in the UK grew 11.2% in April versus a year earlier. The Non-Food online penetration rate was 16.1% in April, the lowest since April 2013.
European retail trade volume, March 2014: Eurostat
- In March 2014 compared with February 2014, the seasonally adjusted volume of retail trade rose by 0.3% in both the euro area (EA18) and the EU28
- In February retail trade increased by 0.1% and 0.3% respectively
- In March 2014 compared with March 2013 the retail sales index increased by 0.9% in the euro area and by 1.6% in the EU28