Record shop price deflation, Jan 2014: BRC
- Overall shop prices reported deflation for the ninth consecutive month in January, accelerating to 1.0% from 0.8% in December.
- This is the deepest level of deflation since the series began in December 2006.
- Food inflation slowed to 1.5% from 1.7% in December. Non-food reported annual deflation of 2.7% in January from 2.3% in December.
European trade volume, Dec 2013: Eurostat
- In December 2013 compared with November 2013, the seasonally adjusted volume of retail trade fell by 1.6% in the euro area (EA17) and by 0.8% in the EU28
- In November retail trade increased by 0.9% and 0.8% respectively
- In December 2013 compared with December 2012 the retail sales index decreased by 1.0% in the euro area and rose by 0.1% in the EU28
- The average volume of retail trade for the year 2013, compared with 2012, fell by 0.9% in the euro area and by 0.2% in the EU28