European unemployment, Oct 2013: Eurostat
- The euro area (EA17) seasonally-adjusted unemployment rate was 12.1% in October 2013, down from 12.2% in September
- The EU28 unemployment rate was 10.9%, stable compared with September
- In both zones, rates have risen compared with October 2012, when they were 11.7% and 10.7% respectively
- In October 2013, 26.654 million men and women were unemployed in the EU28, of whom 19.298 million were in the euro area
- Compared with September 2013, the number of persons unemployed decreased by 75 000 in the EU28 and by 61 000 in the euro area. Compared with October 2012, unemployment rose by 512 000 in the EU28 and by 615 000 in the euro area.
- In October 2013, 5.657 million young persons (under 25) were unemployed in the EU28, of whom 3.577 million were in the euro area.
- Compared with October 2012 youth unemployment decreased by 29 000 in the EU28, but increased by 15 000 in the euro area.
- In October 2013, the youth unemployment rate was 23.7% in the EU28 and 24.4% in the euro area, compared with 23.3% and 23.7% respectively in October 2012.