UK Business: Activity Size and Location, 2013: ONS
- The number of VAT and /or PAYE businesses is estimated to have risen by 18,000 (0.9%) between March 2012 and March 2013.
- Companies and public corporations represent 64% of total businesses.
- The largest industry group is professional, scientific and technical with 16.9% of all registered businesses.
- London has the largest number of VAT and/or PAYE based enterprises with 17.2% of the UK total.
- The number of businesses rose over the last couple of years, following a decline since 2008