Retail Sales Monitor, August 2013: BRC
- UK retail sales values were up 1.8% on a like-for-like basis from August 2012, when they had decreased 0.4% on the preceding year.
- On a total basis, sales were up 3.6%, against a 1.6% increase in August 2012.
- Online sales of non-food products in the UK grew 15.0% in August versus a year earlier, on a weighted basis, representing its best performance this year.
- In August 2012, the unweighted RSM non-food non-store indicator had increased by 4.8% over the previous year, the lowest online growth ever recorded.
High street sales rising: BDO
- Overall like-for-like high street sales in August were up 3.5% – the highest increase since February
- Homewares sales were particularly strong. The year-on-year increase of 20.2% was the sector’s highest since June 2007
- Non-fashion recorded a sales increase of 8.7%
European unemployment, July 2013: Eurostat
- The euro area (EA17) seasonally-adjusted unemployment rate was 12.1% in July 2013, stable compared with June.
- The EU281 unemployment rate was 11.0%, also stable compared with June4.
- In both zones, rates have risen compared with July 2012, when they were 11.5% and 10.5% respectively.
- 26.654 million men and women in the EU28, of whom 19.231 million were in the euro area, were unemployed in July 2013.
- Compared with June 2013, the number of persons unemployed decreased by 33 000 in the EU28 and by 15 000 in the euro area.
- Compared with July 2012, unemployment rose by 995 000 in the EU28 and by 1.008 million in the euro area
Euro area annual inflation, Aug 2013: Eurostat
- Euro area annual inflation is expected to be 1.3% in August 2013, down from 1.6% in July