- The most recent recession had a negative effect on enterprise birth rates (decrease) and enterprise death rates (increase).
- Enterprise birth rates were negatively affected by the recession in 2008, sooner than enterprise death rates which began to show the negative effects in 2009.
- The enterprise death rate exceeded the enterprise birth rate in England in 2009 and 2010, a negative net rate .
- In all other years between 2004 and 2011, the enterprise birth rate exceeded the enterprise death rate, a positive net rate.
- Amongst all LEPs, the London LEP had consistently high enterprise birth rates from 2004 to 2011, which coincided with investment in the Olympic Games. London also had the highest enterprise death rate between 2004 and 2007.