European unemployment, May 2013: Eurostat
- The euro area (EA17) seasonally-adjusted unemployment rate3 was 12.1% in May 2013, up from 12.0% in April
- The EU27 unemployment rate was 10.9%, stable compared with the previous month
- In both zones, rates have risen markedly compared with May 2012, when they were 11.3% and 10.4% respectively
- 26.405 million men and women in the EU27, of whom 19.222 million were in the euro area, were unemployed in May 2013.
- Compared with April 2013, the number of persons unemployed increased by 16 000 in the EU27 and by 67 000 in the euro area.
- Compared with May 2012, unemployment rose by 1.324 million in the EU27 and by 1.344 million in the euro area.
- In May 2013, 5.501 million young persons (under 25) were unemployed in the EU27, of whom 3.531 million were in the euro area.
- Compared with May 2012, youth unemployment decreased by 77 000 in the EU27 and increased by 60 000 in the euro area.
- In May 2013, the youth unemployment rate was 23.0% in the EU27 and 23.8% in the euro area, compared with 22.8% and 23.0% respectively in May 2012.