European retail trade down, April 2013: Eurostat
- In April 2013, compared with March 2013, the volume of retail trade fell by 0.5% in the euro area (EA17) and by 0.7% in the EU27.
- In March retail trade decreased by 0.2% and 0.1% respectively.
- In April 2013 , compared with April 2012, the retail sales index dropped by 1.1% in the euro area and by 0.6% in the EU27.
European GDP down, Q1 2013: Eurostat
- GDP fell by 0.2% in the euro area (EA17) and by 0.1% in the EU27 during the first quarter of 2013, compared with the previous quarter.
- In the fourth quarter of 2012, growth rates were -0.6% and -0.5% respectively.
- Compared with the same quarter of the previous year, GDP fell by 1.1% in the euro area and by 0.7% in the EU27 in the first quarter of 2013, after -1.0% and -0.7% respectively in the previous quarter.
Retail Sales Monitor, May 2013: BRC
- UK retail sales values were up 1.8% on a like-for-like basis from May 2012, when they had increased 1.3% on the preceding year.
- On a total basis, sales were up 3.4%, against a 3.4% increase in May 2012.
- Total growth of 3.4% was above the 3-month average of 2.3% and the long-term 12-month average of 2.5%