Business confidence improving: BDO
- The Optimism Index increased by 1.7 points this month following its 21-year low reading in January. The Index increased to 90.6 in February from a reading of 88.9 in January – the biggest increase in the index for five months.
- Despite this increase, businesses still do not anticipate growth in the next two quarters
- The Inflation Index increased from 100.4 in January to 101.5 in February, its highest level since September 2012.
- The Output Index saw a decrease from 92.3 last month to 92.1 this month
European women and employment: Eurostat
- Almost a third of women and 5% of men having a young child worked part-time in 2011
- In 2011, a third of managers in the EU27 were women.
- More female than male teachers in primary and upper secondary education but fewer female than male academic staff in tertiary education
- Highest proportions of part-time work amongst women with children in the Netherlands, Austria, Germany and the United Kingdom
- Flexible working hours most used in the Nordic Member States
European Retail Trade: Eurostat
- In January 2013 compared with December 2012, the volume of retail trade rose by 1.2% in the euro area (EA17) and by 0.9% in the EU27
- In December 2012 retail trade fell by 0.8% and 0.7% respectively.
- In January 2013 compared with January 2012, the retail sales index dropped by 1.3% in the euro area and by 0.9% in the EU27
General Lifestyle Survey: ONS
- Since 1971 household size declined from 2.91 persons to 2.35 in 2011
- The proportion of adults living alone has almost doubled in the last 40 years, between 1973 and 2011 (9% and 16%), with the increase occurring in the first 30 years (1973 to 1998). Adults aged 25-44 were five times more likely to be living alone in 2011 (10%) than they were in 1973 (2%).
- Over the last 30 years, since 1979, the proportion of women aged 18-49 who were married has fallen by a third (74% in 1979 to 47% in 2011), while the proportion cohabiting has tripled (11% in 1979 to 34% in 2011).
- Although cigarette smoking has halved over the last 37 years (from 45% in 1974 to 20% in 2011) the number of cigarettes smoked by men and women has changed little since the early 1980s.
- The proportion of men and women drinking on 5 or more days a week fell from 23% of men in 1998 to 16% in 2011 and from 13% to 9% of women. Men and women aged 45 and over are more likely to drink on 5 or more days a week than younger people.
- Forty years ago only half of all households had access to a car or van (52% in 1942), in 2011 this had increased to three-quarters (76%). Over this period households with access to a single car or van has remained similar (44% in 2011), but the proportion of households with access to multiple cars has trebled (9% in 1972 and 32% in 2011).
- Access to a home computer has risen continuously between 1984 and 2011, from 9% of households to 80%.