- The euro area (EA17) seasonally-adjusted unemployment rate was 11.9% in January 2013, up from 11.8% in December 20124
- The EU27 unemployment rate was 10.8%, up from 10.7% in the previous month.
- In both zones, rates have risen markedly compared with January 2012, when they were 10.8% and 10.1% respectively.
- Eurostat estimates that 26.217 million men and women in the EU27, of whom 18.998 million were in the euro area, were unemployed in January 2013. Compared with December 2012, the number of persons unemployed increased by 222 000 in the EU27 and by 201 000 in the euro area.
- Compared with January 2012, unemployment rose by 1.890 million in the EU27 and by 1.909 million in the euro area.