- BDO Optimism Index fell to its lowest reading since the report began 21 years ago
- It fell to 88.9 in January from a reading of 90.3 in December – the eighth consecutive month that the Index has remained below 95.0, the mark which indicates growth.
- The Output Index, which predicts short-run turnover expectations, also supports this, falling from 93.1 to 92.3 last month
- The Employment Index, which measures businesses’ hiring intentions over the next two quarters, rose to 95.1 in January from 93.0 in December
- The Optimism for manufacturing firms rose to 95.2 in January from 91.9 in December
- The Output Index score, indicating manufacturers’ order book strength, increased to 92.3 in January from 90.6 in December