- There were 9.2 million crimes against the four sectors covered by the 2012 CVS in the year prior to interview.
- The majority of these (7.7 million) were experienced by premises in the wholesale and retail sector, which is the largest of the four sectors covered.
- Premises in the wholesale and retail sector also experienced the highest rate of crime of the sectors (19,701 incidents per 1,000 premises) covered in the survey, mostly driven by shoplifting offences.
- There were a total of 4.1 million incidents of shoplifting estimated from the survey, almost half the total number of crimes across all four sectors covered by the survey.
- Manufacturing premises experienced relatively low rates of crime across all crime types compared with other sectors.
- Transportation and storage premises had the highest rate of vehicle-related theft (506 incidents per 1,000 premises over the year).
- Accommodation and food premises experienced the highest rate of assaults and threats (2,073 incidents per 1,000 premises over the year).