Labour Market Statistics, July 2012: ONS
- The unemployment rate was 8.1 per cent of the economically active population, down 0.2 on the quarter. There were 2.58 million unemployed people, down 65,000 on the quarter
- In June 2012 there were 1.60 million people claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA). This was up 6,100 compared with May.
- The number of women claiming JSA increased by 8,000 between May and June to reach 530,700, the highest figure since August 1995
- The employment rate for those aged from 16 to 64 was 70.7 per cent, up 0.3 on the quarter. There were 29.35 million people in employment aged 16 and over, up 181,000 on the quarter
- The inactivity rate for those aged from 16 to 64 was 22.9 per cent, down 0.2 on the quarter. There were 9.21 million economically inactive people aged from 16 to 64, down 61,000 on the quarter