BDO Monthly Business Trends Indices
- Output Index reaches nine-month high, indicates growth for the first time since summer 2011
- Business confidence for the second half of the year is more muted
- Manufacturing Optimism Index indicates poorer prospects for the back end of 2012
European external trade – Eurostat
- The first estimate for the euro area (EA17) trade in goods balance with the rest of the world in February 2012 gave a 2.8 bn euro surplus, compared with -2.8 bn in February 2011. The January 2012 balance was -7.9 bn, compared with -16.1 bn in January 2011. In February 2012 compared with January 2012, seasonally adjusted exports rose by 2.4% and imports by 3.5%.
- The first estimate for the February 2012 extra-EU27 trade balance was a 9.4 bn euro deficit, compared with -10.5 bn in February 2011. In January 2012 the balance was -23.5 bn, compared with -31.3 bn in January 2011. In February 2012 compared with January 2012, seasonally adjusted exports rose by 1.3% and imports by 3.2%.
Quarterly Household Release – Q4 2011: ONS
- Real household actual income per head fell by 0.1 per cent in the fourth quarter of 2011 compared with the third quarter of 2011, a slightly slower fall than the previous quarter
- Real household actual expenditure per head increased by 0.2 per cent in the fourth quarter of 2011 compared with the third quarter of 2011. This is the first time household actual expenditure has grown since the second quarter of 2010
- Household financial assets increased slightly relative to income on the quarter and household financial liabilities decreased marginally relative to income, this is in line with recent trends
- The household saving ratio fell by 0.2 percentage points since the third quarter of 2011, to 7.7 per cent in the fourth quarter of 2011
Volume of retail trade – Eurostat
- In February 2012 compared with January 2012, the volume of retail trade decreased by 0.1% in the euro area (EA17) and by 0.4% in the EU27. In January retail trade rose by 1.1% and 0.9% respectively.
- In February 2012, compared with February 2011, the retail sales index fell by 2.1% in the euro area and by 1.1% in the EU27.