- Launched last week (20 March)
- Help businesses access cheaper finance by reducing the cost of bank loans under the scheme by 1 percentage point.
- Discrimination by an employer can be justified solely on the grounds of cost, according to a new ruling from the Court of Appeal.
I took a few days off in the week of the budget. Is that such a bad thing? Most of it was flagged up beforehand anyway. But I’m still interested in the impact of the budget.
- Value of retail sales in February 2012 showed an increase of 3.2 per cent higher than February 2011.
- Sales volumes in February 2012 increased 1.0 per cent when compared with February 2011.
- The proportion of retail sales made via the internet is estimated to have been 10.7 per cent of all retail sales excluding fuel in February 2012.
CPI annual inflation stands at 3.4 per cent in February 2012, down from 3.6 per cent in January.
RPI annual inflation stands at 3.7 per cent in February 2012, down from 3.9 per cent in January.
London has lost 15,000 companies – BBC/Experian research
- The number of businesses in the capital fell from 1,043,983 to 1,028,695
- 3,169 companies were lost through insolvencies, relocations and closures
- The London borough of Hounslow saw the biggest fall in its business numbers
- In Barking and Dagenham between 2010 and 2012, 7,685 new businesses began
- Newham is London’s top performer for business start-ups. The number rose by 43.3% over the same period, to 14,672.