I took a few days off in the week of the budget. Is that such a bad thing? Most of it was flagged up beforehand anyway. But I’m still interested in the impact of the budget.
- Value of retail sales in February 2012 showed an increase of 3.2 per cent higher than February 2011.
- Sales volumes in February 2012 increased 1.0 per cent when compared with February 2011.
- The proportion of retail sales made via the internet is estimated to have been 10.7 per cent of all retail sales excluding fuel in February 2012.
CPI annual inflation stands at 3.4 per cent in February 2012, down from 3.6 per cent in January.
RPI annual inflation stands at 3.7 per cent in February 2012, down from 3.9 per cent in January.
- Euro area external trade deficit 7.6 bn euro compared with -16.1 bn in January 2011.
- 23.8 bn euro deficit for EU27compared with -31.2 bn in January 2011.
- The December 20112 balance was +9.1 bn, compared with -1.7 bn in December 2010.
- In January 2012 compared with December 2011, seasonally adjusted exports rose by 1.3% and imports by 2.4%.
Euro area/EU27 external trade deficit – January 2012: Eurostat
- The number of persons employed decreased by 0.2% in the euro area (EA17) and by 0.1% in the EU27 in the fourth quarter of 2011 compared with the previous quarter
- The largest fall in employment was recorded in construction and the highest increase in real estate activities
- Compared with the same quarter of the previous year, employment fell by 0.2% in the euro area and remained stable in the EU27 in the fourth quarter of 2011.
Employment down by 0.2% in the euro area – Eurostat
- Quarterly GDP growth in the G20 slowed to +0.7% in the fourth quarter of 2011, compared with +0.9% in the third quarter.
- In 2011 as a whole, G20 GDP rose by 2.8%, a marked deceleration compared with the +5.0% growth recorded in 2010.
- GDP fell by 0.3% in both the EU27 and the euro area in the fourth quarter of 2011
G20 GDP growth – Eurostat
- Euro area annual inflation was 2.7% in February 2012, unchanged compared with January. A year earlier the rate was 2.4%. Monthly inflation was 0.5% in February 2012.
- EU annual inflation was 3.0% in February 2012, up from 2.9% in January. A year earlier the rate was 2.9%. Monthly inflation was 0.5% in February 2012.
Euro area annual inflation – Eurostat