For November 2011 to January 2012:
- The unemployment rate has not been higher since 1995 but the rise in unemployment was the lowest in almost a year.
- The unemployment rate was 8.4 per cent of the economically active population, up 0.1 on the quarter.
- There were 2.67 million unemployed people, up 28,000 on the quarter.
- The inactivity rate for those aged from 16 to 64 was 23.1 per cent, down 0.1 on the quarter.There were 9.30 million economically inactive people aged from 16 to 64, down 27,000 on the quarter.
- The employment rate for those aged from 16 to 64 was 70.3 per cent, unchanged on the quarter. There were 29.12 million people in employment aged 16 and over, up 9,000 on the quarter.