- UK retail sales values were down 0.3% on a like-for-like basis from February 2011, when sales had fallen 0.4%.
- On a total basis, sales were up 2.3%, against a 1.1% increase in February 2011
- Food sales picked up, helped by stocking up in the very cold weather. Non-food weakened further, despite continued promotions and discounts. For clothing, footwear and homewares, February was worse than January and December, especially for larger purchases, hit by consumer caution.
Meanwhile, according to BDO:
- Overall like-for-like retail sales were down 1.5% on last year
- Online year-on-year sales up 27.9% for the month