- Number of business deaths rose by 20,000 (7.4 per cent) to 297,000 between 2009 and 2010
- The number of business births remained broadly flat with a small decrease of 1,000 (0.4 per cent)
- A fall of 42,000 (1.8 per cent) in the number of active businesses between 2009 and 2010
- For the second consecutive year business deaths have outnumbered business births
- In 2010 there were 235,000 business births in the UK, a birth rate of 10.2 per cent. This was
compared with 236,000 births in 2009, a birth rate of 10.1 per cent. In 2010 there was a 0.4 per cent
decrease in the number of business births.
- Provisionally for 2010 there were 297,000 business deaths, a death rate of 12.9 per cent. This
compares with 277,000 business deaths in 2009 and a death rate of 11.8 per cent. In 2010 there
was a 7.4 per cent increase in the number of business deaths.